Monday, December 10, 2007

The beginning of a love affair…

Jetlag is a great equalizer. I often find myself out an about exploring my new environs during odd times of the day, also known as regular population going to work hours, and non tourist hours.

For example, one morning I woke up very early, sunrise early, decided to take a walk. It was my first visit to Rome and I wanted to take in the sights. The weather was perfect that morning, with a cool start and would later warm up to shorts and t-shirt weather. Looking at my map, I decided to head for the Coliseum. I figured, it was one of the most recognizable structures in the world, how could I make it to Rome and not see it. I got on the Red line of the Metro, sat down in a seat and headed for the Coliseum. Little did I know how rare it was to get a seat on the Metro, but as I mentioned before it was early and the Metro, well that is a whole other story. When I arrived at my stop, Colosseo, and exited, I knew that the Coliseum was nearby but I had no idea how close. I guess the name of the metro stop should have been a hint.

As I exited the Metro, there it was. Huge, gigantic, enormous, I cannot begin to describe it. Now, I was familiar with the Coliseum, the history behind it and what it looked like from watching specials on television and reading books but I was not prepared for the sheer enormity of the structure. WOW! It was at that moment that I knew I came to the right place. That this vacation was going to be amazing and I was going to learn a lot whether I wanted to or not. I was so astounded by the sheer size of it that I snapped a picture, looking like a goofy tourist, right next to the Metro’s exit. Now keep in mind, it was barely dawn and the only tourists outside besides me were…well, nobody, just me.

As I stood there for a few minutes, taking in the grandeur and visualizing how it once looked, according to the history channel, I wondered how many people over the centuries watched the sun rise over the Coliseum. I found a nice, low wall along the Piazza del Colosseo and decided to relax and people watch. I stayed there for about 45 minutes, planning my day. As walked over towards the Roman Forum, I realized that sometimes first impressions really do make lasting impressions. I have been there countless times over the years but I find that my favorite time of day to visit is in the early hours, before the throngs of tourists, charter busses, and groups. I realize that I too am a tourist but I feel like I belong there.

5 comments:

Jeff Wills said...

I really like your picture of the Appian way!

Your post is very nice. Who knows Wayfarer, maybe you once were a Roman.

Hail Caesar!

Wayfarer said...

Jeff---Thanks for the compliments. The writing, mine, the pic, I wish I could take credit for but I found it online. It reminded me of how it might have looked centuries ago to travelers.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Wayfarer. Your a natural travel writer! Maybe you should be doing this full time, if your not all ready.

JoshSpecht said...

A blog? Very exciting!

Great post about the coliseum. I can't wait to read future updates.

Wayfarer said...

Pico---Thanks. I wish I could write travel pieces full time. Maybe someday...

Josh---Thanks. Next up, seeking the La Bocca della Verità...